10 Things to see when you arrive to San Vito Lo Capo
A beach that has a caribbean flair, a country nestled between the rocky wall of Egitarso's Piana and the high promontory of Monte Monaco, a sea of unforgettable colors ... this is just the beginning of a journey that will take you to find out how much beauty offers this corner of Sicily.
Here are the top 10 things to see and do:
1) The beach - Several times awarded the Blue Flag, the long white sandy beach attracts also for its location at the foot of the beautiful promontory of Monte Monaco. Along 3 km, there are interspersed equipped beaches, where you can rent sun beds and parasols and stretches of free beach; there is also an area dedicated to the disabled (Beach Zero Barriers).
The beach of San Vito Lo Capo is completely linked to the country and can be easily reached on foot within 10 minutes from the most remote areas (in summer there is a shuttle that goes around the country). Many resorts are located right on the waterfront, but in the country there are many hotels, residences, holiday homes and B&B....
Summer is the best time to enjoy it but in spring and autumn, this stretch of coast shows off an incredible charm... just a ray of sunshine and it is magical ... a luxury to try!
2) The Sanctuary - The heart of San Vito Lo Capo is the beautiful square where stands proudly the Sanctuary-Fortress. Built around the small chapel dedicated to San Vito martyr, this building originally was used to protect the numerous faithful from the invasions of the pirates that, at that time were very frequent; today it has in its inside also a small but interesting museum.
3) Chapel of Saint Crescenzia - Don't miss to visit this small chapel in Moorish style built in the thirteenth century in honor of the nurse of San Vito that is buriedin this place. Not far from here you can see an old watchtower, the Torre dell'Isulidda.
4) The Lighthouse - The beam of light glows from 1 August 1959 this coast; It makes browsing safer and gives a certain charm to the bay; definitely one of the undisputed symbols of San Vito Lo Capo. A walk right up to the tower, 43 meters high, is a must and also very romantic. Near the lighthouse there is a circular tower called Torrazzo, probably used in ancient times to defend themselves from pirate attacks.
5) Tonnara del Secco. It is an old Tonnara dating from 1411 and abandoned in 1965. It is 3 km from San Vito Lo Capo, on the western tip of the Gulf of Castellammare. Charming place, full of atmosphere used numerous times as a location for famous films including Cefalonia and a few episodes of "Commissario Montalbano".
6) St. Margherita's Bay - This gorgeous beach, nestled on a stretch of unspoiled coastline, is located on the outskirts of San Vito Lo Capo, between Castelluzzo and Macari, two small villages. The surrounding landscape is a real show, with the hills of the Valley of Olives behind and to the sides the cliffs of Cala Mancina and the profile of Monte Cofano. A free little train brings you along the coast to discover the beauty of small secluded bays.
7) Piana of Egitarso - From this place you can see a wonderful view of the village, the beach, Monte Monaco and the Faro, and sometimes even the extreme point of the Gulf of Castellammare ... just beautiful!
Just hop in the car or if you want walking. The Piana is a wide strip of land that protects with its rocky walls the west side of the country
8) Bue Marino' s beach - Are you looking for something special, truly unique?
Live your time in this corner of paradise, a stone's throw from San Vito Lo Capo. We're not exaggerating ... this little bay was voted "The most beautiful in Italy" in 2015 in a competition of Legambiente.
9) Eat Couscous - Among the dishes to taste during your holiday in San Vito Lo Capo you must eat the Couscous ... the same of the "Cous Cous Fest" of course! Fish or meat does not matter, as long as it is "incocciato a mano" and prepared with fresh ingredients. You just ask the recipe if you want to learn to cook...people tell you the "rite of the couscous" ... and you will be won over by their kindness and its long history.
10) See the sunset by the Macari's Belvedere - Do you want to surprise someone with special effects? ... What could be better than a sunset ... the one on the Gulf of Hood is unique! Seeing is believing!