One of the symbols of San Vito lo Capo is the lighthouse.
43 meters high, the lighthouse is located a few kilometers from the town center and is also visible from the beach.
At night its light reaches more than twenty nautical miles; it is one of the largest in Sicily.
A red light signals the rocky shoal that extends from the coast for a couple of miles towards the north. Its presence in the past centuries would have prevented dozens of shipwrecks on the sharp rocks against which Roman, Phoenician, Arab, Norman ships crushed.
This lighthouse was made by the Bourbon Kingdom that in the years 1800-1850 built many of this along the coasts of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, to make safer the coastal navigation.
Its construction began in 1854 and the lighting of the first light, with fixed white and red light took place on 1 August 1859.
A walk right up to the very high tower gives strong emotions, specially in sunset.